archive-be.com » BE » S » SBAP.BE

Total: 500

Choose link from "Titles, links and description words view":

Or switch to "Titles and links view".
  • Midland Air Museum Baginton
    most important of them being the turbo fan engine and reheat He ran his engine the Whittle Unit W U on April 12 1937 the first liquid fuelled turbo jet engine at BTH Works at Rugby His W1 engine powered the Gloster E28 39 Experimental Aircraft on its first flight at Cranwell in 1941 The W1X engine was shipped to the U S A with 3 engineers form Power Jets with the design drawings of his more advanced W2B engine for the General Electric Company to enter the jet engine business In 1941 1942 the Rover Company and later Rolls Royce were given the secrets of the Whittle engine The W2 700 engine fitted with afterburning reheat was developed during 1944 1945 for the Miles 52 supersonic aircraft experimental project Frank Whittle remained on Special Duties throughout 1946 as he had been since 1935 when he resigned from the company Power Jets This latter was nationalised and merged with the gas turbine section of the R A F at Farnborough to become the National Gas Turbine Establishment N G T E In 1948 Whittle retired from the R A F and received a knighthood He joined BOAC as a technical advisor before working as an engineering specialist in one of Shell Oil s subsidiaries followed by a position with Bristol Aero Engines After emigrating to the U S A in 1976 he accepted the position of NAVAIR Research Professor at the United States Naval Academy from 1977 1979 In August 1996 he died of lung cancer at his home in Columbia Maryland A memorial service for Air Commodore Sir Frank Whittle was held at Westminster Abbey Frank Whittle the W2 700 Engine and the Gloster E28 39 Coll Serge Van Heertum Coll Sbap Midland Air Museum collections The main hangar Bleriot XI replica Serge Van Heertum Marc Arys Gloster Meteor F 4 Serge Van Heertum Serge Van Heertum Serge Van Heertum De Havilland Vampire F 1 Marc Arys English Electric Canberra T 17 Marc Arys Cockpit of the T 17 Serge Van Heertum Bae Harrier Cockpit Mock Up Marc Arys Rear navigator and armament officer section Serge Van Heertum Gloster Meteor F 8 nose section Serge Van Heertum The cockpit of the Meteor F 8 Serge Van Heertum Saab J 29F Tunan from the Swedish Air Force Marc Arys Lockheed T 33A Shooting Star Serge Van Heertum Slingsby T 38 Grasshopper TX 1 Marc Arys Serge Van Heertum Pou du Ciel from Henri Mignet Serge Van Heertum Druine Turbulent D 31 Marc Arys CMC Leopard Serge Van Heertum Serge Van Heertum Some CMC company models clearly modern aircraft design Serge Van Heertum Marc Arys Serge Van Heertum The cockpit Marc Arys Passengers seats Serge Van Heertum Link trainer from the 1950 s Serge Van Heertum More modern a link trainer designed by Singer Yes like sewing machines Marc Arys The AWA Armstrong Whitworth Aircraft gallery Serge Van Heertum Some amazing projects Armstrong Whitworth AW 680 Argosy double deck design Serge

    Original URL path: http://www.sbap.be/museum/midland/midland.htm (2016-04-30)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Eperlecques Blockhaus
    become useless the Germans ironically named it Concrete Clod and all liquid oxygen production equipment was moved the the V2 factory at Mittelwerk in Germany as the compressors were to vulnerable to the impact of a Tallboy The site at Watten was captured by the Candian Forces on September 04 1944 which the Germans fled a couple of days before But before fleeing they removed the water evacuating pumps so a great part of the blockhaus was inaccessible to the Allies The blockhaus was again targeted by the Allies in February 1945 to test the penetration capability of the new Disney bomb designed to double the impact velocity and in doing so increase the penetration capability of the projectile The site had been chosen in October 1944 as it was the biggest accessible target in occupied territory and away from civilian areas On February 03 1945 a B 17 of the 8 th USAAF dropped a Disney bomb which slammed into a portion of the roof The results however were not conclusive as the Royal Air Force was unable to determine the penetration capability into concrete Although Disney bombs were sometimes used during combat their contribution to the war effort was rather minimal In January 2009 the Disney bomb was removed from the roof where she embedded herself during the test The site like it was when the Canadian forces took it Canadian Heritage Bombing of the Watten site August 27 1943 187 B 17 of the 8 th Bomber Command dropped 368 bombs of 910 kg on the Watten site As the Allies thought it was a V1 complex the pilots were ordered to bomb the freshly poured concrete at low altitude The bombing resulted in the concrete to harden out in a shapeless mass beyond repair The Allies lost two B 17 one shot down by Bf 109 fighters and the other damaged by the Flak crashed in the United Kingdom Three P 47 were also shot down August 30 1943 24 B 25 18 Ventura and 36 B 26 of the 8 th Bomber Command dropped 49 tones of bombs onto what was described as an ammunition depot at Éperlecques One bomber was shot down by Flak and fourteen others damaged September 07 1943 58 B 17 dropped 116 tons of bombs on Watten February 02 1944 95 B 24 escorted by 183 P 47 attacked the sites of Watten and Siracourt February 08 1944 110 B 24 dropped 364 tons of bombs on Watten and Siracourt and more than 200 B 26 returned the next day March 19 1944 117 B 17 bombed Watten Wizernes and Mimoyecques and 65 A 20 attacked the sites again in the afternoon M arch 21 1944 56 B 24 bombed Watten but the bad weather prevented the B 26 to participate in this raid March 26 1944 500 heavy bombers from the 8 th USAAF attacked sixteen German ballistic sites in northern France including Watten and dropped 1271 tons of bombs Four B 17 and one B 24 were shot down 236 others were damaged March 29 1944 77 B 24 were sent out against Watten but due to mechanical and navigational problems only 31 were able to bomb the target April 06 1944 Five groups of B 24 from the American 2 nd Bombardment Division attacked Watten but due to the bad weather only 12 planes made it to the target April 18 1944 Bombing of Watten by American airplanes April 19 1944 27 B 24 attacked Watten during the afternoon May 01 1944 More than 500 heavy bombers were sent out to attack the ballistic sites in the Pas de Calais but the bad weather permitted only 129 of them to bomb Watten and Mimoyecques May 30 1944 Heavy bombers of the USAAF targeted Watten and Siracourt June 16 17 1944 236 Lancaster and 149 Halifax from th e RAF lead by 20 targeting Mosquito attacked the ballistic sites in the Pas de Calais including Watten which was bombed with Tallboys for the first time June 18 1944 58 B 17 bombed Watten June 18 19 1944 10 Mosquito attacked Watten despite the bad weather The results of these attacks are unknown but no aircraft was lost June 19 1944 19 Lancaster enlighte d by 11 reconnaissance Mosquito attacked Watten The bad weather hampered the precision and the Tallboy which came the closest to the target missed it by 46m July 06 1944 314 Halifax 210 Lancaster and 26 Mosquito bombed the ballistic sites in the Pas de Calais including Watten The blockhaus was penetrated and severely damaged by a Tallboy July 25 1944 81 Lancaster and 11 Mosquito attacked Watten and two other launch sites with Tallboy bombs August 04 1944 First mission of operation Aphrodite during which radio controlled B 17 filled with explosives were used against Watten and other sites in the Pas de Calais but none of these aircraft hit the targets August 06 1944 Two other radio controlled B 17 were sent to Watten but without great results In memoriam Cdt René Mouchotte Coll SBAP The site visit The gigantic blockhaus Aerations Damage after bombing missions Visit of the site impressions The first thing quite remarkable when arriving on the site is the atmosphere created at the entrance by the arrival of the labour workers by train The acces to the bunker is done through a little tour with an overview of the fundaments of the Atlantic Wall beach defences radar principles explanations on the V1 and V2 One of the most impressive facts is the change in building tactics designed by the organisation Todt to withstand the bombardments and irreparable damages Instead of building the walls and than the concrete paving for the roof they first built the concrete paving and lift it up with jacks to build the walls underneath it The Germans were so in need of concrete they built a cement factory on site This factory was mainly manned

    Original URL path: http://www.sbap.be/museum/eperlecques/eperlecques.htm (2016-04-30)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Newark Air Museum
    1965 The present showground site was formally established and started its operations July 8 1967 With the approval of the Agricultural Society the museum s first aircraft was flown into the showground in the shape of the former RAF Cranwell trainer Percival Prentice 1968 Newark Nottinghamshire and Lincolnshire Air Museum formally incorporated as a limited company and registered as a charity The museum officially opened to the public on April 14 1973 September 24 2000 Newark Air Museum formally dedicated the RAF Winthorpe Memorial on the 60th Anniversary of the RAF Station The memorial features part of a propeller hub of a MK 111 Short Stirling EF186 from N 1661 HCU which was based at RAF Winthorpe The aircraft crashed out of control at Breeder Hills near Grantham Lincolnshire on December 4 1944 after entering cumulus nimbus cloud while practicing recovery from unusual flight altitudes The Stirling was carrying a crew of nine and there were no survivors Hall 1 This hall has a selection of very early flying machines and a nice collection of post war jets including Sea Venom Seahawk SAAB Draken and Westland Whirlwind Bell Sioux and Bristol Sycamore helicopters There is also a nice collection of Bomber Command gun turrets and part of a Lancaster fuselage at the back of the hall General view Hall 1 Aircraft recognition office Mignet HM 14 Pou du ciel BAPC 43 Eiper Quicksilver MX G MJDW Ward Gnome Taylor Monoplane G APRT Avro Anson C 19 VL348 Pulse jet engine of a V1 flying bomb De Havilland Venom NF 3 WX905 Jet Provost cockpit trainer and the instructor control panel De Havilland DH 115 Vampire T 11 XD593 Hunting Percival P 56 Provost T 1 WV606 Volmer VJ 24W G MBBZ Westlant Whirlwind HAS 7 XM685 Saab 91 B Safir 56321 Percival P 40 Prentice VR249 Upkeep Mine Link trainer Lancaster and turret corner Lancaster Mk I fuselage section W4964 WS J Lancaster Mid Upper turret Boulton Paul turret type A Mk VIII Armstrong Whitworth turret Anson Mk I Armstrong Whitworth turret fitted with 0 303 browning gun Was placed on the roof of a building at RAF Tollerton Mc Donnell Douglas F 4M Phontom II flight simulator transferred from RAF Wattisham De Havilland DH 112 Sea Venom FAW 22 WW217 Armstrong Whitworth Hawker Sea Hawk FB 3 WM913 Firestreak air to air missile Insigna of the FAA 899 squadron Bensen B 8M Gyrocopter G ASNY and Bristol Sycamore 3 WT933 in the background Zurowski ZP 1 Homebuilt Helicopter Westland Sioux AH 1 XT200 Saro Skeeter AOP 12 XL764 Triumph S V twin 500cc Projector Fortress Mk 8 1 from Vickers Rolls Royce Derwent Mk 9 Bristol Siddely Rolls Royce Stentor engine Blue Steel missile Super Tiger Cub 440 G MBUE Saab S 35XD Draken AR 107 Sud Aviation SA 341 Gazelle XW276 Clutton Fred Series 2 G BJAD De Havilland DH 82A Tiger Moth G MAZY The ludic left side of the G MAZY Lee Richards Annular Biplane replica Replica built in 1965 for the movie Those magnificent men in their flying machines Hall 2 The larger and newer of the two halls is home to a beautiful collection of preserved jets including a very rare Camberra B1 that was used in the de icing trials A beautiful Hunter F1 Sea Harrier FA2 SAAB Viggen Folland Gnat HP Jetstream Westland Wessex Scottish Aviation Bulldog and Jet Provost are among the other habitants Luscombe P3 Rattler Strike G BKPG During RB108 engine trials Courtesy NAM VZ608 began its life as a standard FR 9 and served with 208 Sqn before going back to Glosters for duty as a test bed During 1951 it was transferred to Rolls Royce at Hucknall where it was assigned for testing the RB108 lift jet engine for the Short SC 1 programme The RB108 was installed behind the cockpit replacing the main fuel tank and trials began in 1955 Although the aircraft had underwing fuel tanks it was limited to 30 minutes flying The orientation of the engine could be altered in flight to simulate vertical flight with a replica of the Short SC 1 air scoop fitted to accurately simulate the SC 1 aerodynamics After the successful trials VZ608 was put on the fire dump at Hucknall but was rescued in February 1970 and moved to the Newark Air Museum where it is today Westland Wessex HC Mk 2 XV728 Folland Gnat T 1 XR534 Hawker siddeley Dominie T 1 XS726 English Electric Canberra B I 8 Model WV787 Scottish Aviation Bulldog T 1 XX634 Cockpit simulator from Blackburn Beverley C 1 Hunting Percival BAC Jet Provost T3A XM383 Bristol Siddeley Viper 8 Mk 102 Gnat procedure trainer and Jet Provost T 3 cockpit section XN573 Vickers Varsity T 1 WF369 Original engine covers opening Scottich Aviation Jetstream XX492 Close up on Turbomeca Astazou 940 Hp engine Hawker Siddely P 1216 project Test set for Ferranti Airpass AI 23 fire control radar Lightning De Havilland Canada Chipmunk T 10 WB624 Saab AJSH 37 Viggen 373918 Supermarine Swift FR 5 WK277 Fairey Fireflash air to air missile Close up on the nose of this rare fighter Armstrong Whitworth Meteor NF 12 WS692 Hawker Hunter F 1 WT651 Rolls Royce Avon 210 British Aerospace Sea Harrier FRS 2 FA 2 ZA176 Rolls Royce Pegasus Mk106 Gloster Javelin FAW 8 HX992 Aviasud Sirocco 377GB G MNRT Surveillance drone CSV 30 Tasuma CVS 30 Cranfield Aerospace Dera Tasuma Observer UAV concept Some models exhibition to relate the history RAF squadron relics Engine section This little hangar proposes a panel of very interesting engines like the two Gipsy Six engines of the mythic De Havilland Comet Bristol Centaurus 661 Rolls Royce RB 109 Tyne Bristol Hercules 100 Bristol Hercules Mk XVI Alvis Leonides LE 24 HM Armstrong Siddely Cheetah Mk II Junkers Jumo 211J Daimler Benz DB 601 Ceskomoravska Kolben Danek Praga E De Havilland Goblin Rolls Royce RB 41 Nene Rolls Royce Avon RA 29 1 Mk 525

    Original URL path: http://www.sbap.be/museum/newark/newark.htm (2016-04-30)
    Open archived version from archive

  • East Kirkby
    D Day colours and participated in the commemorations of 70 years WWII in Normandy This veteran aircraft had a rich career which can be resumed as follows Troop Carrier USAF RAF RCAF 1944 1966 Military Freighter USAAF RAF RCAF 1944 1966 Assault Glider Tug USAAF RAF RCAF 1944 c 1953 Assault Glider Snatch Recovery Tug USAAF RAF 1944 1945 Parachute Transport RCAF 1946 1953 Search and Rescue MedeVac Skis and Jato Rockets RCAF 1953 1959 Multi Engine Conversion Trainer RCAF 1959 1960 Civilian air transport C FKAZ 1966 1985 Freighter transport N5831B 1985 2006 Drag Em Oot during the D Day commemoration at Duxford in 2014 Many exhibitions of aeronautical souvenir Barnes Wallis Unkeep Mine training How it works 8000 Lbs high capacity bomb The Tallboy bomb also designed by Barnes Wallis English Electric Canberra B6 nose section The pilot seat A part of the cockpit The observer seat Bedford Queen Mary Fordson W O T 1 Crew bus Some RAF related vehicles UVS130 Leyland Hippo AEC Matador bowser Do you remember Airfix models Fordson W O T 1 Foam tender David Brown Tractor David Brown 30c Tug Tractor 1 1 diorama The Lincolnshire Aircraft Recovery Group LARG The LARG is based at East Kirkby and gives a lot of presentations at the Lincolnshire Aviation Heritage Centre A brief overview The display origins of the Lincolnshire Aircraft Recovery Group LARG at The Lincolnshire Aviation Heritage Centre started in 1973 when aviation archaeology was just beginning to be recognized as a serious activity as it is today Recoveries were carried out throughout Lincolnshire with much emphasis being placed on talking to locals who remembered the incidents Their aim is to preserve what is now modern history as a tribute to those who lost their lives during the war fighting for our freedom and to remind the young and not so young generations to the aircraft and men that flew during those dark days There are now several permanent memorial plaques on display in the center together with memorials erected on the crash sites of some of the aircraft involved The members of the LARG all work voluntarily on what is still just a hobby The recovery of an aircraft is the key point of many weeks months or even years of research that goes into planning a dig With so many regulations and constraints ruling these activities great care has to be taken to get everything right otherwise the recovery may not go ahead After a successful dig the hard work then starts cleaning the wreckage and bringing it back to displayable conditions This work is done in the workshop at the Lincolnshire Aviation Heritage Centre East Kirkby a job that involves meticulous work with wire brushes scrapers toothbrushes emery cloth and ultimate patience so as not to destroy any more of the mangled metal The results of the work can be seen at the Heritage Centre during the displays in the main hangar Many crashes sadly involved the loss of

    Original URL path: http://www.sbap.be/museum/eastkirkby/eastkirkby.htm (2016-04-30)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Museo Del Aire Cuba
    Armed Forces airbase and the current based units are UM 1779 Regiment UM 2661 Squadron Mikoyan flying MiG 29 A and UB Mikoyan Gurevich MiG 23 ML and UB fighters UM 5010 Intercept Squadron flying Mikoyan Gurevich MiG 21BIS fighters and Mikoyan Gurevich MiG 21 UM fighter trainers North American P 51D Mustang Douglas B 26C Invader Vought Sikorsky OS2U 3 Kingfisher Hawker Sea Fury FB 11 North American Harvard Mk 4 Antonov An 2 Lockheed T 33A Shooting Star Mikoyan Gurevitch MIG 15UTI Aero L 39C Albatros Mil Mi 4 North American T 28A Trojan Mil Mi 17 Mil Mi 8T Mikoyan Gurevitch MIG 17AS Mikoyan Gurevitch MIG 21 F 13 Mikoyan Gurevitch MIG 19P Mikoyan Gurevitch MIG 21UM Mikoyan Gurevitch MIG 23ML Mikoyan Gurevitch MIG 23ML MIG 23BN Cessna 310C Mikoyan Gurevitch MIG 29UB Iliyushin Il 14 Yakovlev Yak 40 Antonov An 26 Mikoyan Gurevitch MIG 21R Mikoyan Gurevitch MIG 21R cockpit Knowing the russian language is clearly an advantage Mikoyan Gurevitch MIG 23 cockpit Old planes the ideal shelter Tracked anti aircraft guns Surface to air missiles S 125 Neva left and S 75 Divina right of the picture The Bay of Pigs invasion Operation Puma The landing on Pig s Bay in April 1961 was a failed military invasion of Cuba by Cuban exiles supported by the United States Planned within the administration of Dwight Eisenhower the operation was launched at the start of the mandate of John F Kennedy The aim was the disembarkation on Cuba on April 17 1961 of 1 400 exiled Cubans recruited and trained by the CIA in the USA to overthrow the new Cuban government of Fidel Castro who led economical politics adverse to the American interests and looking to get closer with the USSR The whole operation was a failure In the morning of Saturday April 15 six American B 26 bombers in Cuban colours violating the international conventions took off at Nicaragua to attack the airbases of Havana and Santiago south Most of the Cuban army and civilian airplanes were destroyed on the ground Only nine aircraft who were not on the ground at that time stayed unscathed and played a major role in the following 48 hours On April 16 during the funeral of the seven victims fallen during the bombing raids Fidel Castro said comparing the invasion to the attack on Pearl Harbour What the imperialists can not forgive us is the fact that a socialistic revolution triumphed right under the United States nose The morning after on April 17 at about 01 15 AM the Brigade 2506 landed at two places Playa Larga and Playa Girón at the end and the eastern entry of Pig s Bay some 202 km south east of Havana Off the coast numerous cargos and other American warships to strengthen this bridgehead The Cuban exiles who landed in an agricultural region of which the residents gained from the agrarian reform set up by Catro s government did not receive the

    Original URL path: http://www.sbap.be/museum/cuba/cuba.htm (2016-04-30)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Belgian Tribute @ Savigny
    as I made his last flight on January 13 1994 landing it at Weelde for storage It was also my last flight on Mirage before taking a new assignment as CO 7 Sqn in 9 W Trg St Truiden See also former SBAP pages http www sbap be museum savigny savigny htm http www sbap be news 2010 mirageba08 mirageba08 htm But this year passing there at the beginning of September I had a double surprise The Mirage was still in a good position in front of the castle but I saw my name on it Furthermore it was there previously beside a French Jaguar But this time I discovered a full Belgian corner with an F 104G and an F 16A I met the owner Mr Pont who told me that he had been looking for years for an F 16A to complete his exhibition thanks to Gen Vande Voorde and the US Military Attaché in France he succeeded in acquiring this former Belgian F 16 He is really proud of it because he is the only one in France having an F 16A in his collection As he told me Even the National Aircraft Museum in Le Bourget

    Original URL path: http://www.sbap.be/museum/savigny02/savigny02.htm (2016-04-30)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Imperial War Museum Duxford
    Ministry of Defence announced its intention to dispose of Duxford plans were drawn up for various developments including two Young Offenders Institutes but were not implemented No 19 Squadron pilots in front of one of their Gloster Gauntlets at Duxford 1938 courtesy IWM Pilots of No 310 Czechoslovak Squadron RAF in front of Hawker Hurricane Mk I at Duxford Cambridgeshire 7 September 1940 courtesy IWM American mechanics removing the engine from a P 47 Thunderbolt at Duxford September 1943 courtesy IWM Two Hawker Hunters of No 65 Squadron and a Gloster Javelin of No 64 Squadron fly over Duxford May 1959 courtesy IWM Site layout When originally planned in 1917 Duxford aerodrome was to occupy a 238 acre 0 96 km2 0 372 sq mi site divided by what is now the A505 road which runs north east from Royston to Newmarket The area north of the road would be occupied by accommodation and administrative buildings with the airfield hangars and technical buildings on the south side Still divided by the A505 the museum s site is now bounded to the east by the M11 motorway which meets the A505 adjacent to the museum site at Junction 10 The construction of the M11 in 1977 forced the shortening of the runway by 300 m In its role as a museum the north side of the site is occupied by the Imperial War Museum s stored collections and is not generally open to the public while the south side is occupied by various hangars and other historic buildings purpose built structures and by two runways The south side visitor entrance which now houses a shop and visitor facilities was previously the airfield s armoury The various buildings are arranged roughly parallel to the A505 AirSpace is furthest east with Hangars 2 3 4 and 5 running westwards followed by the American Air Museum and the Land Warfare Hall The museum site is approximately 1800 m from one end to the other and a visitor bus operates during opening hours Some aircraft and other exhibits are displayed externally such as a Comet tank and replica Hawker Hurricane as gate guardians at the main entrance Several commercial airliners belonging to the Duxford Aviation Society stand on the runway apron opposite the hangars A Bloodhound surface to air missile stands on the site of the demolished hangar A United States Air Force F 15 Eagle stands near the American Air Museum A Royal Engineers Centurion AVRE stands outside the Land Warfare Hall and the Gibraltar Gun a 9 2 inch artillery piece previously emplaced on the Rock of Gibraltar is nearby As a historic site many of Duxford s buildings are of particular architectural or historic significance In 2005 following a review of sites relating to British aviation history by English Heritage some 255 buildings at 31 sites received listed building status Duxford contains over thirty of these buildings the largest number at any one site Listed buildings include three hangars dating back to the First World War and the operations block which received Grade II status This block open to the public houses the wartime operations room from which Duxford s aircraft were directed Another historic building the 1918 Watch Office will be converted to accommodate a new exhibition entitled Historic Duxford The exhibition to open in late 2012 will depict the history of the site and the experiences of Duxford s personnel The 310 Sqn Hurricane at entrance Some of World War II buildings The control tower Duxford was used for the Battle of Britain movie in 1969 realized by Guy Hamilton Duxford aircraft presentation like it was in the mid 1970 s Serge Van Heertum Air shows and flying Duxford remains an active airfield IATA QFO ICAO EGSU and maintains two parallel runways an unpaved 880 m grass strip and a concrete runway with a usable length of 1199 m both oriented at 060 240 degrees The runway was originally purchased from the Ministry of Defence by the Cambridgeshire County Council in 1977 In October 2008 an agreement was reached between the council and the Imperial War Museum under which the runways and 146 acres 0 59 km2 0 228 sq mi of surrounding grassland would be sold to the museum for approximately 1 6 million Since 1973 Duxford has held regular air shows Duxford is the home of several private aviation companies such as Classic Wings The Fighter Collection the Old Flying Machine Company and The Aircraft Restoration Company Between them these companies provide pleasure flights historic aircraft for film or television work and aircraft restoration services Perhaps the most notable privately owned and operated aircraft based at Duxford is B 17 Preservation Ltd s Sally B the only airworthy B 17 Flying Fortress in Europe Major air shows held regularly include the Duxford Air Show the Flying Legends show organised by The Fighter Collection and American Air Day which is held in conjunction with units of the Third Air Force part of the United States Air Forces in Europe based at nearby RAF Lakenheath and RAF Mildenhall The Duxford Air Show usually exhibits a wide range of aircraft from vintage warbirds to contemporary jet aircraft along with aerobatic flying by groups such as the Red Arrows while the Flying Legends show focuses on historic aircraft especially those of the Second World War In 2008 it was reported that these displays generate up to 1 8 million while the loss of up to 100 000 due to adverse weather is also budgeted for The policing bill necessary to manage the resulting road traffic was reported as some 8 000 Recent major events have included the Battle of Britain 70th Anniversary airshow held on 4 5 September 2010 The show was attended by more than 40 000 people and featured formation displays by four Hawker Hurricanes and sixteen Spitfires As an active civil airfield operations at Duxford are regulated by the Civil Aviation Authority CAA In 2002 a privately operated Aero L 39 Albatros suffered a braking failure on landing overran the runway and came to rest on the M11 motorway a student pilot being killed after ejecting at ground level An Air Accidents Investigation Branch inquiry recommended a review of arrangements for aircraft taking off or landing towards the M11 As a result the CAA and Duxford agreed to a reduction in the runway s 1500 m declared length from 1350 m to 1200 m in order to provide a greater margin of error As a licensed airfield Duxford has its own Fire Service currently five vehicles and 16 fire fighters officers which operates as part of the Airfield Security department the fire service was originally operated by voluntary crews who were part of Duxford Aviation Society with the training officers coming from Stansted and other local airports for the last few years it has been a mixed voluntary wholetime operation See ou different reports in the Events file Duxford during an airshow In 2000 Duxford announced plans for the redevelopment of Hangar 1 previously known as the Superhangar which was built in the 1980s The plans would expand the building by 40 providing more display and conservation space improve internal conditions and enable the museum s British and Commonwealth aircraft collection to be brought under cover Planning permission was received later that year The project cost 25 million and was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund the East of England Development Agency and BAE Systems which contributed 6 million The building which provides 12 000 m2 of floor space consists of an aircraft conservation area a large exhibition hall and a mezzanine providing views of the aircraft and interactive educational installations exploring aeronautical engineering and the principles of flight AirSpace officially opened to the public on 12 July 2008 Over thirty aircraft are on display dating back to the First World War early aircraft include rare examples of an Airco DH 9 and an Royal Aircraft Factory R E 8 The former is one of only six surviving DH9s and the only example on display in the UK and the latter is the only complete and original R E 8 in existence More recent notable aircraft include a Hawker Siddeley Harrier which served during the Falklands War with No 1 Squadron RAF and a Panavia Tornado which flew the highest number of bomber sorties of any Tornado in the 1991 Gulf War Also on display is a British Aircraft Corporation TSR 2 strike aircraft one of only two survivors from the cancellation of the project in 1965 Recent additions include Eurofighter Typhoon DA4 one of seven Typhoon development aircraft which was gifted to the museum by the Ministry of Defence in 2008 and went on display in June 2009 Civil aircraft include the Duxford Aviation Society s Concorde and Comet described above AirSpace also houses Airborne Assault the museum of the British Army s Parachute Regiment and airborne forces Previously located at Browning Barracks near Aldershot the museum opened at Duxford on 8 December 2008 The opening ceremony was led by Prince Charles the Parachute Regiment s Colonel in Chief The museum chronicles the history of British airborne forces from the Second World War to current operations in Afghanistan Handley Page Victor B 1 Avro Shackleton MR 3 Eurofighter Typhoon prototype Royal Aircraft Factory R E 8 Airco DH 9 Miles M 14 Magister I Westland Lysander Airspeed Oxford I De Havilland DH 82A Tiger Moth Avro Anson I Fairey Swordfish De Havilland Mosquito TT 35 Short Sunderland MR 5 Avro Lancaster X Bomb trolley and ammunitions 4000 pound cookie bomb Thomson Aircraft Refueler Bomb trolley and ammunitions Avro York De Havilland DH 104 Dove Westland Whirlwind HAS 7 Westland Wessex HAS 6 Danny Carels Supermarine Spitfire F 24 Vanguard pickup Handley Page Hastings C 1A De Havilland Comet Avro Canada CF 100 Mk4 Canuck English Electric Canberra B 2 Avro Vulcan B 2 BAC TSR 2 WE177A Nuclear Bombs English Electric Lightning F 1 SEPECAT Jaguar GR 1A Former pre production development Concorde aircraft G AXDN Concorde Olympus engine Hawker Siddeley Harrier GR 3 Panavia Tornado GR 1 Paratrooper s corner Willys Jeep Royal Enfield Flying Flea Beardmore 160 Hp engine WWI Le Rhone 9C 60 Hp engine Bristol Jupiter IXF Alvis Leonides Major 755 Napier Lion 1B Rolls Royce Kestrel VI Bristol Hercules Mk XVI Rolls Royce Merlin 3 Armstrong Siddeley Double Mamba 101 turboprop British 12 pounder 12cwt anti aircraft gun 1938 British Twin Bren Gun Anti Aircraft Mounting Sea Wolf anti aircraft missile Sea Cat navy anti aircraft missile Lockheed Polaris A3 missile Bristol Bloodhound Mk 2 Anti Aircraft Guided Missile 1958 Flying Aircraft Hangar 2 is a double Type T2 hangar erected in the 1970s It occupies the site of a T2 hangar erected in the 1950s It accommodates the flyable aircraft of Duxford s private aviation companies and allows visitors to see aircraft undergoing maintenance or restoration Bristol Beaufighter Mk Ic Spitfire MK FRXIV Another Spitfire in restauration Hawker Sea Fury T 20 North American P 51D Mustang De Havilland Canada DHC 1 Chipmunk Fairey Firefly TT 1 Rockwell OV 10 Bronco Chance Vought Goodyear FG 1D Corsair De Havilland DH 89A Dominie Nieuport 17 Air and Sea Hangar 3 an original Belfast truss hangar houses Duxford s maritime exhibition The collection includes notable vessels and naval aircraft Boats on display include Coastal Motor Boat 4 built by Thornycroft in 1916 She saw action during the Baltic campaign of 1918 19 and her commander Lieutenant Augustus Agar won the Victoria Cross for sinking the Russian cruiser Oleg on 17 June 1919 Other vessels include the Vosper motor torpedo boat MTB 71 acquired from the British Military Powerboat Trust in 2005 an example of an X Craft midget submarine and a wartime Royal National Lifeboat Institution boat the Jesse Lumb which was stationed at Bembridge on the Isle of Wight A variety of naval aircraft are on display including a de Havilland Sea Vixen Sea Venom and Sea Vampire and a Westland Wasp helicopter which was embarked on the frigate HMS Apollo during the Falklands War Hawker Sea Hawk FB 5 Westland Wasp HAS 1 Fairey Gannet ECM 6 De Havilland Sea Vixen FAW 2 Westland Sea King HAS 6 Hawker Siddeley Buccaneer S 2B TVAT Matra AJ168 Martel Vosper 60ft Motor Torpedo Boat Mitsubishi Zero A6M3 Cockpit Bedford Tasker tractor unit with ex RAF Queen Mary Trailer Focke Achgelis Fa 330 Fritz X radio controlled glide bomb Bristol Blenheim IV rebuilt nose section Battle of Britain Exhibition Hangar 4 is one of Duxford s historic hangars and now houses an exhibition exploring Duxford s history as an operational RAF airfield from the First World War to the Cold War The early period is represented by a Bristol Fighter a type operated by Duxford s No 2 Flying Training School from 1920 The latter period is represented by a Hawker Hunter which flew at Duxford with No 65 Squadron RAF a Gloster Javelin the type which made the last operational flight at Duxford in 1961 and by a Hungarian Mikoyan Gurevich MiG 21 a common Warsaw Pact jet fighter Britain s air defence during the Second World War is particularly emphasized with exhibits representing the Battle of Britain the Blitz and the V 1 flying bomb offensive from 1944 Notable aircraft include a Messerschmitt Bf 109E which was flown during the Battle of Britain until forced down in Sussex due to engine failure It is displayed as part of a tableau showing the crashed aircraft under guard One unusual aircraft on display is the Cierva C 30A autogyro which was used by 74 Signals Wing based at Duxford to test the calibration of coastal radar units Royal Aircraft Factory Be2c Bristol F 2B Fighter Hawker Hurricane IIB Restored in 111 Squadron during Battle of Britain Supermarine Spitfire Mk1 a Observer post civilian guard 30th September 1940 Messerschmitt Bf109 1190 flown by Unteroffizier Horst Perez was shot down by a Sptifire over Beachy Head He was supposed to be escorting a bombing raid on London but failed to meet up with the bombers courtesy IWM Relics from Messerchmitt Bf 109E and Heinkel He 111E Junkers Jumo engine from He 111E V1 Doodlebug rocket Missile Percival Proctor III Avro 671 Rota Mk1 1939 Nash Ambassador Six Ambulances 1942 Austin K2 Fire Truck Austin K3 van Fordson Sussex WOT 1 Balloon Winch 1936 Bedford Water Bowser 3 7 inches anti aircraft gun 90cm Searchlight Standard Beavered armoured car Alan Williams Turret Pickett Mamilton fort designed for airfield runway defence De Havilland Vampire T 11 Gloster Meteor F 8 Westland Lynx AH 7 Hawker Hunter F 6A Gloster Javelin FAW 9 Mikoyan Gurevich MiG 21PF McDonnell Douglas Phantom FGR 2 De Havilland Goblin Mk3 Bedford QL Fuel bowser Bofors 40 70 Anti Aircraft Gun Rapier missile system Bristol Bloodhound Mk1 Operations Room A reconstruction of the place where RAF Duxford s fighter aircraft were directed into combat during the Battle of Britain The fixtures and fittings of this historic room were removed long ago but today you can see an accurate reconstruction of the Operations Room A variety of different sources of evidence including documents photographs film and personal recollections were used in ensuring the Operations Room looks as it did in 1940 Duxford Operations Room during the Battle of Britain courtesy IWM The current reconstitution Conservation in Action Hangar 5 the westernmost original hangar houses Duxford s aircraft conservation workshops Open to the public the hangar allows visitors to see museum staff and volunteers at work on a variety of conservation tasks Notable projects include a Mitsubishi A6M Zero fighter acquired from an American owner in jungle recovery condition and a Royal Aircraft Factory R E 8 now on display in AirSpace Duxford is a partner with the British Aviation Preservation Council in the National Aviation Heritage Skills Initiative which has been funded since 2005 by the Heritage Lottery Fund and aims to provide training to volunteers supporting aviation heritage projects P 51D Mustang CASA 2 111 FMA IA 58 Pucará McDonnell Douglas F 15A Eagle Seen here at Radlett in 1952 British archives Nose Section from Handley Page Halifax B VII PN323 Rudolf Hess Bf110D VJ OQ fuselage relic Engine reserve Shackleton engines Wellington rear turret BAC Strikemaster Heinkel He 162 Field periscope used by the German during WWI Duxford is operated in partnership between the Imperial War Museum Cambridgeshire County Council and the Duxford Aviation Society The Society is a registered charity No 285809 and states two objectives to educate the public by collecting and exhibiting historic aircraft military vehicles and boats and to support the Imperial War Museum The Society was formed in 1975 from a divergence of members of the East Anglian Aviation Society which now operates the Bassingbourn Tower Museum at the former RAF Bassingbourn Duxford Aviation Society preserves and maintains the Civil Aviation Collection Especially notable aircraft in the collection include a de Havilland Comet which made the first eastbound jet powered trans Atlantic passenger flight on 4 October 1958 and Concorde G AXDN 101 a pre production aircraft which achieved the highest speed of any Concorde making a westwards trans Atlantic flight in two hours 56 minutes In support of the Museum s goals the DAS Military Vehicle Wing provides one of the world s leading teams of military vehicle restoration engineers The Wing or its volunteers own some of the vehicles located at Duxford and provide restoration services for vehicles within the museum s collection The team also operates vehicles for demonstrations during the year The wing s works have been featured in the Discovery Channel s Tank Overhaul programme James May s 20th Century and wide variety of magazines and other media Other elements of the society provide or support a range of functions at the Duxford site including canteen aircraft conservation learning and interpretative activities and administrative tasks An affiliated group the Duxford Radio Society collects preserves

    Original URL path: http://www.sbap.be/museum/iwmduxford/iwmduxford.htm (2016-04-30)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Al Mahatta Museum
    Havilland DH 86B Express The de Havilland Dove replaced these aircraft followed de Havilland DH 114 Heron and Douglas C 47 Dakota From 1973 the company became the national carrier under the name of Gulf Air and is still a major player today The creation of the Gulf Air is evocated with a small but pristine collection of aircraft Avro Anson C19 G AKNV In reality this aircraft was built in 1946 for the RAF Serial nr TX183 The aircraft remain in service with RAF until 1968 After his military career the plane received the civil registration G BSMF The plane was acquired by the Museum in 2001 and repainted as G AKNV one the Anson operated by Gulf Aviation Company DH Dove 6 G AKVW Composite of various airplanes marked as G AKVW The aircraft is suspended and the cabin is not accessible Douglas DC3 G AMZZ c n 12254 acquired in 2003 DH Heron 2 G ANFE with constructor s number 14072 used from 1955 by West African Airways Corporation with the registration VR NAQ Acquired in 1961 by Overseas Aviation Ltd G ARKU and sold to the Royal Navy Converted to a Sea Heron C20 XR443 and used until 1989 Sold as G ODLG in 1993 it became VH NJP with Heron Airlines in Australia As from 1995 stored at Sydney and finally sold to the Museum to represent G ANFE in 2003 The Auster J 1 Autocrat G AJRE c n 2603 was built 1947 and delivered from Coventry on October 5th 2012 on the 80th anniversary of the first landing at the airbase DH Comet Nose section XK655 This was the first Comet to be used by the Royal Air Force in 1953 Later on owned by the Strathallan collection the Comet nose arrived at

    Original URL path: http://www.sbap.be/museum/sharjah/sharjah.htm (2016-04-30)
    Open archived version from archive